Note: You can preview a copy of the full application as a PDF here, but you must apply by creating an account below. You can begin, save and return to your application multiple times until you are finished. Please contact Aanchal Dhar, firstname.lastname@example.org, with any questions.
The Encore Public Voices Fellowship is a prestigious year-long initiative to accelerate the ideas and impact of 20 new and necessary thought leaders working at the intersection of aging/longevity, intergenerational connection and social justice.
Many parts of the world are rapidly aging. In the United States, we have added more than 30 years to life expectancy in the past century, but not across the board. Whites live longer than people of color. Women live longer than men. And the richest Americans live 10-15 years longer than the poorest. In 2019, for the first time ever, there are more people over the age of 60 than under the age of 18. The ripple effects of these shifts will affect every aspect of society.
We need better and faster ideas from a more diverse set of people of all ages, including those who are most impacted by the uneven implications of these realities, and thus most likely to see new solutions and envision a more just future. The Encore Public Voices Fellowship is a collaboration among The OpEd Project, Encore.org, and Ann MacDougall and is part of The OpEd Project’s national Public Voices initiative to change who writes history.
Participants will receive extraordinary support, skills and mentoring to ensure their ideas shape the greater public conversation. All participants will publish at least two written pieces (hopefully many more) during their fellowship.
We are looking for:
- 20 fellows
- Community and business leaders, activists, entrepreneurs, writers, educators, researchers and other thinkers
- A diverse mix of people across all identities
- A solutions-oriented mindset
- Year-long program
- Four required in-person convenings (specific dates/times below)
- Dedicated editors (top journalists) who provide regular, hands-on, one-on-one support/editing/coaching and help place articles
- A limited number of travel stipends for those who need them
CONVENINGS WILL BE HELD IN NEW YORK CITY ON THE FOLLOWING DATES
*Please note: Only applicants who can commit to attend all four in-person convenings will be considered.
- Thursday, September 26, 2019 (9am-5pm) and Friday, September 27, 2019 (9am-1pm)
- Tuesday, December 3, 2019 (9am-4pm)
- Friday, March 6, 2020 (9am-4pm)
- Friday, May 8, 2020 (9am-4pm)
GET READY TO APPLY
The following application will ask for general personal/professional details, diversity and inclusion information and your responses to three application questions.
The application deadline is 5pm EDT, Wednesday, June 26.
Prior to completing this application, please do the following. We estimate that this pre-work should take an hour to complete.
Review the session dates for the 2020 Encore Public Voices Fellowship cohort. If you are selected, you will be asked to commit to full attendance. (Note: A limited number of travel stipends will be available.)
- Review the whole announcement here.
- Scan the Viewpoints Page of Encore.org.
- Watch this video (approx 12 min).
- Read this selection of pieces from last year’s Encore Public Voices Fellows:
- Still missing in the flood of new emoji — an icon on the value of intergenerational relationships (Joy Zhang in The San Francisco Chronicle)
- The most important job in the world is one no one wants anymore (Sarita Gupta in Quartz)
- Kids, it’s time to give your parents 'the talk.' Not that one, the one on climate change. (Mick Smyer in USA Today)